The key elements of that draft statement, seen by Reuters are:
- Turkey to readmit all “irregular”migrants crossing into Greek islands from Turkey;
- For every Syrian readmitted by Turkey from the Greek islands, one Syrian refugee will be resettled from Turkey to the EU member states;
- The EU will completely evacuate refugees from the Greek islands, readmitting only those who crossed into the islands after a date to be determined;
- The EU will accelerate the lifting of visa requirements for Turkish citizens in the Schengen zone, so that this takes place, at the latest, by the end of June 2016;
- The EU and Turkey will cooperate in any joint endeavours to establish humanitarian safe areas inside Syria;
- The EU will provide Turkey with an extra 3bn Euros (on top of the 3bn Euros already made available) to help Turkey deal with Syrian refugees through to the end of 2018.
According to Reuters, the statement also makes reference to steps in the process of negotiating Turkish accession to the European Union.